PMO 101: Project Management
Project Management is a complex discipline with plentiful key phrases, knowledge areas and terms. This article is part of a series of short articles, called PMO 101. It is aimed at educating (new) business leaders on the basics of Project Management, and to simplify the key components of successful project management.
This series of articles gives a breakdown of what project management is and how to execute it effectively in service of strategic goals.
Definition of Project Management
Project Management is a business discipline that involves applying specific processes, knowledge, skills, techniques, and tools to meet project goals and deliverables successfully. (Moira Alexander, contributing writer to cio.com)
Importantly, Project Management professionals play an important role. They help drive, guide, and execute company-identified, value-added goals by applying processes and methodologies to plan, initiate, execute, monitor, and close all activities related to a given business project in alignment with the organization’s overall strategic objectives.
PMO vs EPMO
Successful organizations categorize project management efforts under either a Project Management Office (PMO) or an enterprise project management office (EPMO).
A PMO is an internal or external group that sets direction and maintains and ensures standards, best practices, and the status of project management across an organization. PMOs traditionally do not assume a lead role in strategic goal alignment.
However, an EPMO has the same characteristics and qualities as a traditional PMO. However, it has an additional key high-level goal, namely, to align all project, programme, and portfolio activities with the strategic objectives of the organisation.
Undoubtedly, organizations are increasingly adopting the EPMO structure. Therefore, project, program, and portfolio managers are actively involved in strategic planning sessions right from the start to increase project success rates.
Importantly, PMOs and EPMOs both help organizations apply a standard approach to project management. In addition, setting standard approaches, PMOs and EPMOs have the following benefits, says Moira Alexander:
- ground rules and expectations for the project teams
- a common language for project managers, functional leaders, and other stakeholders that smooths communication and ensures expectations are fully understood
- higher levels of visibility and increased accountability across an entire organization
- increased agility when adapting to other initiatives or changes within an organization
- the ready ability to identify the status of tasks, milestones, and deliverables
- relevant key performance indicators for measuring project performance
Look out for more short, easy-to-digest articles on Project Management basics, including methodologies, tools, etc.
CoLAB Talent Placements specializes in staffing PMOs
Do you have a PMO or EPMO in your organization, but you’re struggling to staff it?
CoLAB Talent is an execution capacity provider. We provide high-performing contract resources to complement your current PMO or Project Management workforce, or to set up your PMO.
We proudly recruit for character, competency, and chemistry. In addition, our resources are highly competent, and they will undoubtedly add value to your PMO.
Adding to that, our resources are off-payroll, giving you a flexible, contracted workforce to scale with your needs. Moreover, CoLAB lightens your recruitment burden, as we take the pile of CVs off your desk, onto ours. Furthermore, we pride ourselves in accurate matching, therefore reducing mis-hires, and adding to your ability to pursue temp-to-perm journeys.
CoLAB Employee Experience and Values
At CoLAB, our employee experience is of utmost importance. We strive to make every stage of the employee lifecycle at CoLAB an unforgettable experience. Along with this, our culture is steered by our core values, being
- Satisfied customers – Our customers feel heard, understood and served with excellence
- People – Authentic care for all relationships
- Ownership – We take accountability for the result, not just the activity
- Transparency – Open motives [vulnerability] builds trusted relationships
Are you a business leader
- In need of high performing resources, right now, but you can’t add them to your payroll;
- Struggling to develop high potential resources in your organisation; or
- In need of a flexible workforce, to scale as your demand increases?
Stop looking. Talk to CoLAB Talent Placements.
We’ll enable you to scale your execution capacity with high-performing contract resources, so that you can focus on driving strategic results and growing your business, without employing permanent resources.
Undoubtedly, this is the future of work.
Book a free 20-min call with Barend, to explore solutions for your needs, and to kickstart your journey towards the successful future of your business.
Book the call HERE.
Alternatively, send an email to ingrid at trustcolab dot com.
Click HERE to CONNECT with CoLAB
Read these popular articles on our blog:
Employee Engagement VS Employee Experience
How to Improve Employee Experience
3 Things that shape Employee Experience